When the Opintoluotsi development project was being prepared, the Finnish educational field was in a state of flux. Educational institutions had to focus on their “competitiveness” and visibility in the educational market. One consequence was that the names of institutions and the titles of degrees were changed. The relationship between professions and the education that prepares students for them was also changing.
The purpose of the Opintoluotsi.fi service was to provide a single entry point to comprehensive, comparable information about various study opportunities in Finland.
The project’s general objectives were to improve access to information about education, to promote the use of online resources by educational professionals and to enhance the quality of information supplied on the websites of educational institutions.
Project objectives related to educational policy included the following:
- To promote educational equality
- To increase public participation in educational opportunities
- To improve the appropriate use of student places
- To support young people who have difficulties in finding a student place
- To improve the circumstances of mature students
- To bridge the gap between information about educational opportunities and people’s daily lives